Thursday, October 14, 2010

Visa or Mastercard?

Tennis Ball: $2

Vet bill to remove tennis ball: $2078

Playing with new friends: Priceless!


This time two years ago I was frantically searching the internet on what to do when your dog swallows a tennis ball and all I could find was articles saying how dangerous tennis balls are and that you should never let your pet play with one unsupervised, well, it was a little too late for that lecture. Gracie finally had all of her shots and was free to go play at the park with other dogs, so we headed down to the neighborhood park for some outdoor fun and my dumb sweet dog found the skin of a tennis ball and swallowed it whole right in front of my eyes, it was definitely an oh Sh*t moment and everyone at the park kept saying that she would be fine and pass it, but I was not convinced so I took her home and googled what to do when your dog swallows a tennis ball but the internet was not very helpful. So I picked up the phone and called the Emergency Vet Hospital to ask what to do (because of course this accident happened after hours and on a Thursday, the one day during the week that our very inexpensive Vet is closed).  Deep down inside I already knew the answer but my wallet and I were in denial and did not want to face the emergency vet bills.  The Emergency Vet told me that I needed to bring Gracie in right away for xrays to determine exactly where the tennis ball was lodged in her stomach, so I got in the car and drove to the hospital.  Well sure enough after they xrayed her you could see the tennis ball, however she was acting fine, you would of never known that she had just swallowed the entire skin of a tennis ball.  Emergency surgery was required before the tennis ball became stuck in her intestines, so around 1:00am after talking to the doctors I left her at the hospital, cried all the way drove home and waited to hear from them in the morning.  The next morning the tennis ball was removed along with a lot of grass, mud and seed pods and I was able to pick her up that night.  Needless to say after spending $2078 to have that ball removed Gracie is now fully insured and that insurance will help offset the costs of future foreign body removal surgeries that she might need and all I can think of at the moment is that damn dog!  Seriously, I could of found a million ways to spend all of that money
 (I think I am still a little mad at her)!

1 comment:

  1. HO-LEY COW!!!! that's outrageous! You're a good momma! :)

    ReplyDelete