Monday, July 8, 2013

Children Drown without a Sound - A Harsh Reminder!

This is my yearly rant, yes it is a little late this year but yet it is a necessary one and I will rant on until the end of time if I need too.  This past 4th of July I am sure the majority of you were out celebrating poolside and enjoying the great weather, I know I sure was, I never miss an opportunity too be out by the pool. Well, there was a family in RSM that was enjoying a day at the Beach Club (an awesome fake beach/pool that is tons of fun for families) and within an instance tragedy hit their family; their 3 year old son drowned.  I know kids are quick and they can get away from you in a blink of an eye, but this was such a preventable accident and it makes me crazy that it happened once again.  So once again I am preaching the ABC's of swimming......

A - Adult supervision, this is a must.  Never take your eyes off of your child until you have communicated to another adult that they are now in-charge of watching the child.

B- Barriers!  Fences, nets, whatever you choose, use them!

C- Classes!  CPR, First Aid & Swimming lessons, sign-up today.  Everyone in your family should know how to swim and be well educated in how to handle an emergency.  I am guessing it was no coincidence that our CPR class filled up today after such a bad thing happened down the road from us.

You can read about the accident here and just remember.... 

SAY NO TO ARM FLOATIES!

They are dangerous and should never replace adult supervision.  The provide a false sense of security for both parents and children.  If you have to use a flotation device make sure it is Coast Guard approved. 


Sweet little Caroline is only 2 years old, but has been in survival swim lessons for over a year!

Barriers!! Say "yes" to a fence around your pool!

Gracie's first swim lesson, even the dog had to be taught how to get out of the pool safely.

Cole at 4 months, never to young to start!

What would we do if we lost one of these sweet kids to a drowning?  
Life would NOT go on!

Please feel free to share this blog post with all of your people!!

Have a safe summer!




No comments:

Post a Comment