Sunday, May 18, 2014

Santa Barbara - Rig Run Weekend

Saturday was the 2014 Rig Run in Santa Barbara, why they call it the Rig Run anymore is beyond me, cause we do not paddle out to the Rigs so perhaps it should be renamed the Santa Barbara Run, cause all we do is run run run all weekend long.  

Friday I left work at 2pm and met up with the Sheriff, it was a blazing 100+ degrees out and I had not had lunch (bad bad bad idea), so we stopped for Jamba Juice as we picked up Mr. Pie and headed up to SB.  During our first Santa Barbara adventure, I randomly found a Community Center in Thousand Oaks to stop at to use the bathroom and let Milo out to run around, so now we exit the freeway there each trip.  This time we did not stop at the Community Center instead we stopped at the Thousand Oaks Mall to grab dinner and to stretch our legs and we have decided this is our stopping place from now on, it just seems to work out perfectly for all of us.  We arrived to our no tell motel around 8:30pm, unpacked a little and crashed by 9:30pm.  Milo the giant German Shepard was with us and he enjoyed jumping on the beds, but ultimately ended up sleeping with me, I think I have officially made it into his inner circle. We were up early and out the door by 6am, a healthy breakfast of Starbucks and egg sandwiches from Carl's Jr. fueled our bodies for race day (I do not recommend going that route).  I paddled in a coed boat this race, I seriously love coed boats, I had a great crew who paddled their a$$'s off and gave it their all the entire time.  Our boat came in 4th place, we just missed 3rd place by 13 seconds, doh.  The Sheriff's boat on the other hand came in DEAD LAST aka there was no one behind them or as some like to refer it to as DFL, from the stories I have heard there were two people on board that just could not get along and it really messed everything up and by the look and emotion displayed by the Sheriff he was MAD.  I felt bad for the four other paddlers that were stuck in the middle of all of the fighting, hopefully the next race will be better.  More importantly (since we drag him to all of the races), Mr. Pie had the time of his life, he was lucky enough to puppy sit for a gal on our team who just adopted a seven week old Golden Retriever puppy.  Mr. Pie took his job very seriously, listened to all of the rules for the puppy and made sure puppy was safe while her owner was out on the water and made a little $$$ for his handwork and responsibility, the Sheriff and I were so proud of him.  After the races we stayed at the beach, the weather was perfect all day and we had just a great time hanging out and hoping to win a prize from the raffle. One of the Sheriff's friends had suggested a restaurant to go eat at so we went to Brophy Brothers right at the Harbor next to our race site, it was really good but a little pricey.  We left SB after dinner and got home around 9pm, it was a long day and we were all so tired, so it was nice to be home.  Bright and early Sunday morning the Sheriff convinced me to get up and go help rig the boats, I so did not want to but it was the right thing to do.  We got coffee and headed to the beach, it was really nice out and all of our friends were there, so I am very glad I went.   We grabbed lunch at another place the Sheriff's friend suggested (I swear this guy is a walking restaurant guide and I told the Sheriff that we need a list of places to eat at while we are in Hawaii from him), we ate and headed home, the Sheriff started his new shift tonight 6:30pm to 6:30am so he needed to nap before heading to work.  I ran a few errands and then went shopping at the Irvine Spectrum, I was able to find a few things for work and a couple items for summer and our Hawaii trip.  

I did not take a lot of pictures this time, so weird for me.  These are best I got…..

The dork I am thought this was very cool!

The no tell motel was very orange and yes, that is Mr. Pie's blankie and stuffed turtle "cutie".

My bed buddy.

We do not travel light; cooler, skateboard, paddles, sun shade, snacks, towels, chairs, etc.

Mr. Pie and Sammi the pup.

No comments:

Post a Comment