Sunday, May 17, 2015

Paddling or Lack of Paddling!

Paddling season started a few months ago and up until a month ago I was out there on the water paddling with the best of them but then life happened, I put my house up for sale, I was gone ALL.OF.THE.TIME, I was shuttling Gracie to and from the Sheriff's house and my hip started really bothering me so I quit the team.  Yep, I am a quitter but for my sanity I needed to drop something from my life and paddling it was and I feel sooooo much better.  I kinda dropped off without saying a word to anyone except our coaches, I just did not know what to say so I said nothing.  Our first race of the season was last weekend in San Diego and it was nice to see and talk to everyone.  Due to two separate practice times a lot of people did not realize I was even gone but for the few who did they all started speculating as to why I was not there and of course they figured I was either pregnant or engaged and planning a wedding and a few wanted to start a rumor that I was getting a boob job, AWESOME!  Well, I had to break it to them that none of the above were true and that I just had a lot going on and that my poor old hip that has been through the ringer was the biggest reason of all and that being in pain all of the time is very exhausting and I did not want to deal with it.  The Sheriff is still paddling and I like to think of myself as the support staff on race day for him, not sure how I am the support staff since he drives us and shelps all of our stuff from the car to the beach and gets our tent all set up, but whatever I am going to call myself support staff.  

This is the shoreline before the races started, it was such a nice day in San Diego.

This is what Mr. Pie thought of it all, he is not too fond of the beach and water.

The Sheriff getting all pumped for his race, they hulied aka flipped aka went swimming!

Mr. Pie the non water loving child saw this and joined in on the fun, I was so glad to see him out on the water enjoying himself!  Best part was he did not complain that he had no dry clothes, we never bring his swim trunks because he never goes in the water so of course there was not a change of clothes for him, I was kind of anticipating a freak out but it did not happen, the only thing he said to me was that I only wanted him to go into the water so that he would have to take a bath when he got home, like it was some sort of evil plan that I had come up with because I am so mean and make him bathe on a regular basis.  Ummm, no sorry buddy, I just wanted you to have fun and bathing is optional but if you want to sit in sandy pants by all means go for it!

This past weekend there was a race in Santa Barbara, we headed out late because I had to work until 4:15pm, we stopped at our midway point at "The Oaks" in Thousand Oaks and had dinner at the Cheesecake Factory, Mr. Pie showed off his amazing talents and I tried to get the picture to look like a metal mustache. 


We got an early start to our day, this picture is from last year but we looked about the same this year minus the bike helmet and second paddle, we do not travel light.


Like I said above I quit the team a month ago or so I thought, I somehow found myself sitting in seat 5 in the boat below with a bunch of novice ladies.  It was really windy, a crazy beach launch and mid race huli that sent us swimming in the 58 degree water but a lot of fun.  Thankfully I packed extra clothes, borrowed the Sheriff's long sleeve jersey and a paddle from Sheila and I was off to the races.


Mr. Pie is the team dog sitter!  Sammie the Golden Retriever just turned a year old and a great reminder as to why I DO NOT want a puppy.  Mr. Pie took great care of her the whole day and made off with $10.  
Sammie last year!  Oh so cute but I am oh so glad she is not mine.

After the day was over we headed downtown for an early dinner before we headed home.  I never order wine out, but last night I needed a glass, it was oh so good.  My beloved Ben & Jerry's went out of business, I was so bummed, it was the only reason I dragged the Sheriff and Mr. Pie that way to eat because I wanted my Coffee, Coffee, BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ ice cream.  So we settled for a trendy overpriced ice cream shop McConnell's it was pretty good but not the same as Ben & Jerry's.


This sign made me laugh, I love how they think sprinkles are distant relative of unicorn's! 

And Mr. Pie, he makes friends everywhere he goes!

I hope you had a good weekend too, it is now time to head back to the work week, boo!

No comments:

Post a Comment