Saturday, July 23, 2011

Surf's Up!

Well I have finally earned my California Girl status, after being born and raised in Huntington Beach it is about time I learn how to surf!  Yesterday, I met my friend Gina, one her boys and some of her girlfriends down at the river jetty (Huntington/Newport Beach border) for a fantastic beach day!  Gina, shows up to the beach with this huge brand new long board that she scored for free (her surfer husband thinks she is nuts) in her car and informs me that we are going surfing, I tell her she is nuts and I have no idea how to surf, well she won't take no for an answer and insists that we learn to surf (oh ya, that is right, she does not know how to surf either!). So after a few hours of burning tanning we head out into the water, thank goodness it was really warm and we start our surf lessons.  Gina tries a few times and then gives it to me, all I have to say is that it was awesome, after about a dozen tries I manage to stand up and catch a wave, it was the most amazing feeling, too bad she did not have a camera to capture the moment.  After about an hour we dragged ourselves out of the water and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon chatting and planning our next beach trip.  I have to say this morning when I woke up I was tempted to drive over to her house pick up the board and hit the waves again, I cannot wait till next Friday!


Surf's Up!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! Was it hard to paddle out on that thing? That's always the part that deters me from surfing vs. body boarding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how big is that board...it's huge! glad you had fun and popped up you california girl you!!!

    ReplyDelete