Sunday, April 29, 2012

They drove 50 minutes.......

to spend maybe 10 minutes with me, I sure am lucky to have such great parents!  I had such a great weekend, I am not quite sure where to start, so I will start with Sunday and work my way backwards.  Like I said the parents drove about 50 minutes to see me for about 10 minutes before hitting the open seas aka baby beach (I know it sounds like a fright), they have been hearing about all of the outrigger and DOCC stories lately and thought they needed to check it out for themselves and take a few pics (my mom only took 88 of them) of me and my new group of pals and I am so glad they did.  I have taken quite a liking to my new seat in the back of the boat and I have been pretty proud of my new skills in seat 6 as the steersman or as I like to call it the steerswoman with the team.  I led my boat out of the harbor, we did pretty good, we kept a steady pace, stayed on track, worked really hard and then it was time to switch up our boat a little and swap out one or two people to see how the boats would do with a different set-up.  All was well, we managed to get up close to the other women's boat, we were getting everything situated and then it happened, in a blink of an eye we hulied (sp?), capsized, flipped, what ever you want to call it we did it and all six of us were all in the water, swimming with the wild life (thank goodness we practiced this yesterday).  It was actually kind of funny, it looked like a yard sale on the ocean; shoes, hats, water bottles, paddles and gear everywhere!  We all jumped into action and got the boat upright, bailed all of the water out and were back in action in no time and continued on with practice, as we were heading back in it was kind of choppy and I was trying my best to maintain control of the canoe, it was getting kind of crazy and wouldn't you know but it freaking happened again, that's right folks we flipped again, out goes all of our gear, we were fishing t-shirts, jackets, shoes, paddles and hats out of the water, it was nuts and I could not stop laughing, it was hilarious. I was then kindly reassigned to a different boat to prevent this from happening again!  What a great day!




Look at all of the Facebook love from my team, they are awesome!
(Click on photo to make larger)

In other news, Saturday night I went to the Newport Film Festival with some of my new peeps (Sheila, Greg & Cherie) and saw Decade of Dominance at the Lido Theater, it was a great movie, very inspirational and amazing!  After the movie we hit up Mi Casa for dinner, drinks and hopefully a cousin sighting, but the cousin was no where to be found, I think she was at Stagecoach.  Whatever Melissa, guess we will have to catch you there next time!




And now this is where we will talk about Friday! Friday started off with some pampering, you know the usual; facial, manicure and pedicure (if I could of got my hair cut I would of considered it the royal treatment of a day), Friday night our little group of novice paddlers met up for dinner, drinks and fun along with a little entertainment courtesy of our Coach Rich and his band at the Renaissance Dana Point, it was a lot of fun and great way to get to know everyone along with the seasoned paddlers of the group, if you have not noticed by now, this new hobby of mine has taken over my life, holy moly!

I hope everyone had a great weekend as well, special shout out to the parents for making the trek down to Dana Point for a quick photo shoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment