Yesterday marked my third time paddling to Catalina from Newport Beach, 30 miles of water, fun and adventure and it did not disappoint. The last few weeks of paddling season, I have kind of slacked off, I was burnt out and ready for it to be OVER so I was only going to practice twice a week, took a week off while in Hawaii and did not go at all the week of the race, so I was a tad nervous about this race and not being prepared enough. Thankfully everything went great. I paddled in a coed crew with a bunch of novice guys I had never paddled with and this was their first time doing this race, so it had the potential of being a disaster, but with some good planning and two great boat coaches (Bob & Windy) everything went really good.
All ready to go, had everything packed and ready to go by 4:15am.
The Sheriff was unable to paddle most of the season due to his work schedule, but despite working a midnight shift (6:30pm-7am), he stayed after he was off and came out to wish us luck and cheer us on, he is awesome like that and so handsome in his uniform. ;)
Somewhere right along here we hulied (flipped), we were about 5 miles from Catalina, it was crazy choppy out there and the strong swell coming from the right did not help things as it would lift us up and drop us down into a trough and then build up again under our ama and throw our balance off. We managed to right ourselves pretty quickly and get moving again.
Megan and Heather waiting for me to come pick them up, dude these girls can paddle.
Here we are limping across the finish line, it was rough, we were tired and had zero energy left to paddle anymore. I did not think we were ever going to make it to the finish line and all I wanted to do was cry and vomit at the same time cause I was so tired.
This was my morning cocktail today; coffee, Tylenol and antibiotic ointment and it is now noon and I am ready to repeat it, cause none of it has kicked in, dang I am tired and in pain. Yes, I would like some cheese with my whine.
Thanks DOCC for lasting memories, I am very proud to say that I have paddled to Catalina with such a great group of people.

No comments:
Post a Comment