So I left you all kind of abruptly the other day, sorry about that, I was sitting on the couch happily blogging away when my Kona roomies insisted I join them for a drink at the Royal Kona something or other Hotel, so I jumped up and ditched the blog. After our little cocktail outing, we headed to the International Paddler dinner hosted by the Mayor of Hawaii, it was fun I won a door prize but I was not there to claim it, so it went to someone else, boo. After the dinner we went on a Manta Ray tour, it was amazing, this big beast like thing would swim right up to us as if he was going to eat us and them swim away, this went on for a half hour or so and then we headed back to land. No pictures from Thursday, to busy enjoying the day to take any.
Paddler dinner!
Friday morning we went on a Zodiac boat tour and snorkeling trip, it was awesome!
Mason, Jack, Ricki, Marcia and Jill
What started out as a bathroom break turned into a swim with dolphins, it was so neat!
After our boating/snorkeling adventure Jill and I met up and went back the Royal Kona to layout by the pool and for lunch, it was so nice to just sit and enjoy the sunshine.
Yum!
View from the pool!
Yesterday was Race Day, we arrived at 5:15 am, got our boats all situated and headed out on our 16 mile paddle. It was kind of overcast which was perfect considering how hot and humid it has been. We had a great start to our race and we seriously rocked it! 2 hours and 29 minutes later we crossed the finish line, we were the first Dana boat to finish the race. Without out any words said it was clear that everyone thought our boat was going to bomb, we were the total underdogs of our club that was there and no one had any hope of us doing very well, so it was pretty amazing that we did so good. Throughout the race we were passing boats right and left, it was crazy to look back and see all of the boats behind us. We finished 22nd out of 44 in our division and out of 133 boats we finished in the top 3rd. I seriously cannot wait until next year!
Pre-Race food!
Ricki, Jill, Diana & Josie
This pretty much sums up paddling!
We were boat #441
After all of the awards, we headed to a local park for the torch ceremony. They closed off part of Alii Drive and we walked down the street with hundreds of torches.
Sheila and I.
My boat crew minus Sheila.
It was so hot with all of those torches!
Anyways I am off to the double hull race, it is sunny and hot out so I must go hydrate!
Aloha!









No comments:
Post a Comment