Sunday, January 11, 2015

Why I DO NOT want a puppy!

****Warning**** Major rant below!!

Clearly my last post was not clear enough, I DO NOT want a puppy!  People keep asking me why and make me out to be a horribly cold person because I DO NOT want a puppy, so I am going to list all of the reasons why I DO NOT want a puppy.

- They are messy, no puppy comes to you house broken, I'm not sure about you but my days of cleaning up puppy messes are OVER.  Gracie took FOR EVER to potty train, it was awful and I DO NOT want to go through that anytime soon.

-They are little itty bitty creatures that need you around ALL.OF.THE.TIME, not sure about you, but I work full-time and that means I am gone the majority of waking hours.

-They are EXPENSIVE, they need food, shots, crates, beds, operations so they do not have puppies themselves.

-Speaking of food, I swear other pet parents are MEAN.  What do you mean you do not cook for your dog?  You don't feed your dog a raw diet?  Your dogs food is not served on a silver platter?  NO NO and NO, Gracie gets her food from Costco, call me a horrible pet parent but that is all I can afford that is somewhat healthy, judge away!

- Speaking of food again, Gracie has horrible food allergies.  I spent the first three - four months of pet ownership cleaning up barf because she was allergic to the food I was giving her.  Yep, again judged as a horrible pet parent. I had no idea dogs had food allergies.  I tried everything which included a bland chicken and rice diet, well wouldn't you know she is allergic to chicken. FUN TIMES!

- While dealing with barf and other puppy messes Gracie had to have emergency surgery because she swallowed the skin of a tennis ball, WTF.  That cost $2078, I am still pissed about that.

- Gracie and I live in 675 square feet, NO room for a puppy, especially one that is going to become a large dog.  Cause we all know I will have to help with a new puppy.  I.DO.NOT.WANT.TOO.  

-Speaking of where we live, do you know how many people frown when I tell them I live in a condo, geez, you would think that Gracie can barely turn around in our house when I tell them that.  I lie half the time and say we live in a large house with a yard so the judgie judgkins don't jump down my throat.  

- Puppies bite and destroy things, I like my stuff and I want to keep it nice, call me crazy!  Gracie found a spot in the kitchen that is missing some baseboard and had a small hole, now the hole is huge and it is going to take some serious drywall repair to fix it. AHHHH!  But if I told anyone that Gracie eats the drywall, I would turn into this horrible pet parent that is letting her dog poison herself by eating drywall.  

-They need to be trained, it is so secret Gracie and I failed dog obedience school, why you ask, please refer to the second bullet point, I work full-time and I did not have the time to dedicate to practicing our skills, whatever!  As long as Gracie does not bite small children I call it a win in the training department.  But don't you worry, I have basically been told by many that Gracie is out of control, OK, thanks for your opinion that I did not ask for, plus I could say that about your children, Gracie is just as spirited as your little brat of a child.

- Gracie is now 6.5 years old and finally feel like I can leave her for more than four hours with out worrying that she needs to go out or needs me home, with a puppy that would all change, NO.THANK.YOU.

- A friend of mine got a puppy this weekend and called me on the verge of a mental breakdown and as I tried to talk her off the edge a flood of emotions and memories came back as I remembered everything I hated about having a puppy.  As I tried to encourage her that is really does get better, I tried not to cry myself as I remembered how horrible it was a what a complete failure I felt like. People ask me all of the time why I got a dog and if it was so bad why did I keep her instead of giving her to a loving home?  The truth is I was very lonely and I thought that would help fill a void in my life.  I had no idea it would be this tough.  I was of the mindset that you don't get rid of your pets, once yours always yours and as far as the loving home, really, I cannot believe you just said that.  Thanks for making me feel like the worst pet owner EVER, that dog gets food, a roof over her head, medical attention and plenty of affection, I never said I did not love her, I just did not like her a lot as a puppy.  

- And the number 1 reason why I do not want a puppy is because I HATED every part of it and I am afraid that if the Sheriff gets a puppy it will drive a huge wedge in between us and I don't think I can handle that.  That is why I told him if he gets a puppy we are done and I will stick to that.  And what no on realizes he is still considering getting one, so you can only imagine how I feel about where I stand in our relationship, he might as well just say I am not sure about us, that is why I am considering a puppy.  Ya, it hurts a lot.  When everyone sees this as a big joke or that I am overreacting, I don't.  

NO!

And just in case you are wondering, I cried the whole time I wrote because I really do feel like a jerk when I tell the Sheriff no about getting a puppy.

RANT OVER!



No comments:

Post a Comment