Thursday, May 24, 2012

Early Detection is Important!

The SCAN Van came to work yesterday to do bone density screenings mainly for the seniors, but it was open to anyone who wanted to have it done, so I hopped on board and had it done.  I must confess I NEVER take calcium supplements (my stomach and them do not get along), but I am active, do a lot of weight bearing activities, eat pretty healthy, take prenatal vitamins (no, I am not pregnant, they are good for you that is why I take them) and consider my white mocha and ice cream consumption a good source of calcium (kidding), so I figured there was really no need to worry, boy howdy was I wrong!  I sat down in the chair, put my foot in the machine and was kind of surprised with the results I got.  The machine showed that I was in the Osteopenia stage and headed towards Osteoporosis if I did not act now and I am only 33.  Good news for me is that I am on the border of normal/not so good and that I can reverse this by adding more calcium to my diet.  Coincidentally, I scheduled my annual exam today as well, so this is good information to take to my doctor so that I have a baseline number and can be monitored more often in the future.  Moral of the story, take your calcium and get your bones checked often, your body will thank you! 

1 comment: