Last night the Sheriff and Mr. Pie came over for our weekly dinner date at my house. It has been kind of a challenge to find something to make that is quick, easy and tasty that Mr Pie and I will enjoy (we don't have to worry about the Sheriff, he will eat anything), so I was browsing some of the blogs I like for dinner ideas and I found mini pot pies, BAM, that was what was for dinner. It was fairly simple to prepare, the first time is always the hardest and now I know for next time what to expect and how to tweak things to make the prep flow better. I have to say I have never made a pot pie nor have I ever eaten one, but I was quite pleased with the way this one turned out and I think it is a keeper!
2 tbsp butter
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tbsp flour
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup cooked chopped chicken breast
1 cup broccoli florets (steamed)
All-purpose flour for dusting
2 10-inch round prepared pie crusts
1 egg (beaten)
1 tsp water
Heat oven to 400. Grease your mini muffin tin. In a pan melt the butter over
medium heat. Saute the garlic for about 30 seconds then add the flour and whisk
for 2 or 3 minutes. Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer, if it thickens up
too quickly add a little more milk. Turn the heat off and stir in the cheese,
chicken and broccoli then season with salt and pepper. To put the pot pies
together roll out the pie crusts, using a 3 inch cookie cutter or a small cup,
cut out the pieces for the bottom of the crusts. Place them down in the mini
muffin tins. Fill with the chicken mixture. Now beat the egg with the water and
set to the side. Using a 2 inch cookie cutter or a smaller cup cut the tops
out. Brush the egg mixture around the edges of the pot pie then press the tops
onto the bottoms and seal. Brush the tops with the eggs mixture then make a 1/2
inch cut at the top of each pot pie. Bake in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes. Makes 8 mini pot pies.
I think the next time I make it, I think I will make a
big pot pie and double or triple the recipe.
The current recipe makes just enough to fill-up the 8 muffin tins.
Please don't judge my mini pot pie making skills, I know they look bad!
Ha, they look even worse cooked, but boy howdy they were tasty!
This is what Mr. Pie thought of my cooking, I don't take it personally, he is anti eating these days and he had fallen asleep on my couch right before dinner. The Sheriff was trying to get him to eat and he was not having any part of it.



No comments:
Post a Comment