Sunday, May 12, 2013

Busy Busy Weekend Packed Full of FUN!

I'm just gonna start this post off by saying that this weekend was AWESOME and there is not one part of my body that is not sore as in it hurts to sit here on the couch and type this.  Friday started with some serious rest and relaxation with Gracie dropped off at camp and coffee time by myself but it did not last long enough and ended with my friend Kris Brown's wedding in Laguna Beach, the weather was perfect and her wedding was beautiful.  



Then it was off to San Diego bright and early (yes, we were there at 6:30am) thank goodness for my friends at Starbucks who open at 5am.  It was a perfect day at the beach good weather and great friends, it can't get much better than that!  We welcomed that novice to their first race of the season with gifts and lei's and wished them well on their first paddling adventure as they left the beach only to hear about how one of the boats got caught up on a turn buoy when they returned.  I paddled a coed boat as I mentioned here about how there was almost no race for me to paddle and boy howdy did we have fun! Ricki, Jill, Carlos, Phil, Hoover and I hopped in boat #5 and paddled three miles just to get to the start line, we had a decent start and we were off to the first turn, we had a pretty good turn according to me, but Ricki and Jill had another version of the story turn that I somehow missed, we paddled along, passing boats and doing awesome, we made another turn and started heading down swell, it was awesome, the best part of any race, you catch waves and fly!  Well, we were having so much fun and cruising along and out of nowhere we hulied (flipped), I am still not sure how that happened but it was such a disappointment cause we were on track to get a medal. Thankfully everyone was ok, as we started to collect all of our stuff that was now in the ocean and flip our boat back over, we kind  of struggled, I think we were all in shock of what happened.  We eventually had to flip our boat twice to help get all of the water out and in the process the chase boat came by to make sure we were all ok and wouldn't you know it but my good pal Steve Ayers (I have known him all my life, he used to wash my parents windows) was on the chase boat.  If anyone knows Steve he is one of the nicest people on earth and will help out anyone and everyone.  Steve jumped in the water swam to our boat and helped us get all of the water out and send us on our merry way.  We ended up passing a few more boats and finished the race more determined than ever to get a medal next week, I sure hope we get the chance to race again as a team.  A few race stats; paddled 13 miles, 2 hours and 7 minutes, averaged 6 mph with our fastest speed 14 mph (down swell right before we flipped) burned almost 1300 calories. 


Coming back in!

Telling our Huli story!

Hoover, Jill, Ricki, Me & Carlos!  Phil ran off before picture time!


Today I woke up to a very sore and bruised body from our huli yesterday and thankfully Gracie wanted to sleep in too.  It started to get hot in the hood so by noon we were ready for cooler weather so we headed to the parents house for a little Mother's Day fun!  My parents had Mari and Cole all weekend so I was anxious to get there and get some good quality time in with them, which of course meant we were in the pool all afternoon.  I took a few pics of the kids before I took the plunge.  

Mari actually did really well in the pool!  With a little pushing coaching she was able to kick on a kick board  and swim across the spa all by herself. 

Is that Cole's, I am 15 look?

There was a lot of splashing and squirt gun spraying going on!

After Grammy finally made us get out of the pool and into dry clothes we had dinner and dessert and what we like to call quiet time with the kids (two ipads and netflix = quiet time)!


There may of been a mini meltdown when they were told it was time to go home, cause you know it is never a good time to turn off the movie right when the princess gets to the castle.  And because I am the aunt I am allowed to laugh at the meltdown, Mari had very valid points and made it sound like her life was about to come to an end if she could not watch it.  $20 bucks says she was asleep in the car before the left the neighborhood.  I hope everyone had a great weekend, next weekend our race is in Santa Barbara and the GoPro is going with, check back in for more race fun.  



No comments:

Post a Comment