Thursday, June 21, 2012

I have got something to say!

Welcome to my yearly rant!  I feel it is important so I do it on a yearly basis just to remind all of my faithful readers of what I feel they should know.   Yesterday was the first day of summer (woo hoo) and the weather is nice, so that means we are all headed outside to enjoy the sunshine and summer time.  All of the sunshine and summertimeness usually brings us to the pool, so I am going to say it again……..
“WATCH YOUR KIDS!”

“Say NO to ARM FLOATIES”

“WATCH YOUR KIDS!”

“Say NO to ARM FLOATIES”

Parents put arm floaties on their kids cause they think they are protecting them, do you really think two little plastics things are going to keep them safe, what happens if one of them pops or slips off and you are not paying attention?  How about a watchful eye, never turning your back on your child and holding them when in the water?  Ya, that sounds a lot better!

OMG, it makes me crazy going to my pool with kids there and irresponsible parents, last summer I pulled a 2 year old child out of the spa because the Mom was too busy talking to a friend to notice that her child was under water, ya, I yelled at the Mom, made her feel like a complete idiot in front of her friends and walked out.  True story!

This week I have heard of two near drownings in Irvine and one that has left a 1 year old baby in very critical condition in Coto de Caza, and to think it all could have been prevented.

So here are some safety tips…..

*       -Never leave a child alone in the pool area to answer the phone or do some other errand. If you must leave the pool, take your child with you and remember to lock the gate. Keep your eyes on your child at all times.

*       -All children should learn to swim especially if you live near water or have access to a pool. Your local YMCA or Red Cross offers swimming classes.

*       -Do not depend upon personal flotation devices such as "water wings" or toys to protect your child. These devices can lose air or slip out underneath the child. You should not depend upon the fact that your child has had swimming lessons. Kids panic and forget necessary training.

*       -Limited access to a pool is mandatory in many states. A four to five foot fence with a locked gate surrounding the pool may be required. Even when not bound by law, if you have a pool, you should install a fence and gate.

*       -A door or gate alarm can be lifesaving. This adds another layer of protection.

*       -Never dive into a pool that is not at least 9 feet deep. A serious head or neck injury could occur if you should strike the bottom.

-Keep toys especially those with wheels away from the pool as it is too easy to drive a tricycle over the edge of a pool.

*       -Learn CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) and post CPR instructions near the pool.

*       -Keep rescue equipment such as a pole, rope, or flotation device near the pool.

*       -Have a phone with emergency numbers posted near the pool.

A just because I can, here is a picture of my latest swimmer boy, I know his mama won’t EVER put floaties on him, that is if she wants to remain friends with me!
We start lessons tomorrow morning!

And since I am on my safety throne, this is not acceptable either……
This was all over the internet a couple weeks ago and they interviewed the Mom and posted her lame ass excuses, really you buckeled the gas can in the carseat not the child?
And, please please do not leave your children or pets in the car alone EVER!!!!!!  It gets really hot really quick and can be fatal, but yet so preventable!

Thank You, I have now gotten off of my throne!

Happy Safe Summer Everyone, my rants come straight from the heart, I love you guys!

1 comment:

  1. Thats so funny cuz just 10 minutes ago I was talking to my mom about swim lessons and then how we went on our swim playdate right afterwards. She TOTALLY asked me, "Why dont you just put floaties on the kids?" I said, "UHHHHH mom do you KNOW erin mudry?"

    ReplyDelete